Re: Gearboxes (and long rambling)

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gearboxes (and long rambling)
From: "Rick Waltman" <rickw@networksplus.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 19:19:51 -0600
Hello list
  I'm exposing myself from the lurking mode,  (about once a year)  Every
once in awhile I get the urge to work on the Series  IV alpine.  My
motivation level is low because of having very little free time and not
having a adequate place to work on the car.  This list is the only thing
that keeps the spark alive.  The fact that somebody stole all my tools two
weeks ago doesn't help matters.   Ok, I must be honest,  they did leave a
screwdriver and a cheap 1/4 drive socket set.   The rest of the 15 year
collection is gone.   A week or so ago Brent Kasl mentioned a Series V for
sale in Kansas City, with the prospect of a cheap addition to my Alpine I
called the number.  My thoughts?  If you need to work on an Alpine double
your fun and work on two.  I would like to keep my IV original and his V
would go the V6 conversion route. (enough orginal parts for the four)
Performance is my greatest motivator on projects.
    He purchased the V, thinking it came with a all synchro overdrive, to
place in his other Alpine. (finaly I get to the seguey)   The basket package
he bought had two gearboxes, one none synchro and one that was 2-4 synchro.
His disapointment was obvious on the phone.   He hinted at wanting $1000 for
the car shell and most of its parts, minus all bright work.   I had looked
at the car 12 years ago,  owned by the basket case maker.   At that time it
had all new bright work, new top, and new interior still in boxes from VB.
The property taxes have not been paid on the car since that time.   I
mentioned having an all synchro gearbox, as far as I know,  from my late
Series IV.    I thought he was coming through the phone to get it.  He then
put his emotions in check to hedge his hand for getting a deal made.    I
could live without the all synchro I'm sure, having his other two
transmissions to work with.   After some thought, and a weeks time, my
motivation to buy another car in pieces has dropped considerably.  Four
fresh inches of the white stuff, and the V needs to be moved pronto will do
that to a guy.  My question of this  tale is:  what should I ask for the
transmission $$?  Or what kind of deal would someone reccomend?   It worked
fine when I last drove the car, OD was smooth etc.  Or is somebody on the
list in need of one,  I would like a fair price having both parties happy
with the deal.  I will inform him of the one currently on ebay.  If I don't
acquire the car he said it will become a donor for a Tiger in Oklahoma,
which needs front fenders.    Now back to the deep shadows of the lurking
mode for me.
Rick Waltman
rickw@networksplus.net
1/4 inch drive and screwdriver