Re: Rootes Engines, and others

To: "Scott E. Christie" <schristie@mail.usfli.com>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rootes Engines, and others
From: "Barbara Blue" <the_blues@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 16:48:16 -0500
The Crosely automobile was first made in Richmond, Indiana (my home town) in
1938.  A new factory was constructed for its manufacture.  I am not sure,
but I think this car had a 2 cylinder engine.  When WW 2 started, the
factory was converted to making ball turrets for bombers.  After the war the
plant made refrigerators, and auto production was moved to Marion, Indiana.
Powell Crosely was the prime mover in all of this, so there is some
connection.  I always thought Powell Crosley maintained appliance and car
ownership throughout the 40's, but what do I know?
Powell Crosley had a big influence in the Indiana-Ohio-Kentucky area, as he
also owned WLW, a 50,000 watt clear channel radio station that could be
heard in about 75% of the country.  He also owned a TV station and the
Cincinnatti Reds.
Bill