Re: [Re: Series I Shocks]

To: Jarrid Gross <jarrid_gross@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: [Re: Series I Shocks]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 16 Mar 2001 10:12:42 EST
They used to sell different shock fluids for those lever action actions-in
addition to the standard stuff, there was a high viscosity fluid for
"sporting" or racing.  Do they still make the stuff???

Jan

Jarrid Gross <jarrid_gross@earthlink.net> wrote:
Terry McKitrick wrote:

> I am replacing my dampners with real shock absorbers.  My plan is to use
the
> place where the rebound straps attached on the upper frame as one mounting
> point, the bottom end will be attached to the axle, but where?  Has anyone
> else done this without using a Series III rear end?  What size shocks were
> used?
> Terry McKitrick
> 1960 Series I

I had considered this once.

While I am not going to get into why the knee action shocks are superior (or
will I?),
consider using the two bolt holes for the shocks as a mounting point for
a reinforced L bracket at the top of which would bolt the threaded shock end.
This would look sort of like a half box (open on the bottom and 2 sides).

Then beneath the spring and the axle, insert a piece of 3/8 sheetmetal,
with the appropriate hole in it for the bottom threaded shock mount.
This would allow for use of the telescopic shocks without butchery,
and allow you to consider the superiority of the knee action damper
as you have to replace the telescopics every 10 years or so.

Jarrid Gross
SII with rear original 1961 knee dampers.