Light problem

To: alpine list <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Light problem
From: Karl Gilchrist <xtr25618701@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 12:32:20 +1200
I have a problem with my Series V Alpine Reversing lights. Instead of
coming on only in reverse like they used to,  they  now come on in
reverse but also in 3rd and Top They are are off in 1st and 2nd.
Recently my mechanic had the gearbox out of the car to fix an overdrive
leak and we took the opportunity to change the bell housing to the
correct one for the car. Nothing else was done at all other than
refilling the box with oil.

Today I just assumed that he had wired the gearbox  reverse light switch
incorrectly . The overdrive still works fine disengaging  with changing
gear into 2nd etc. However changing the wires around and even replacing
the gearbox switch doesn't help - still the same problem. What's
happening and how do I fix it??

All advice gratefully received

Thanks

Karl