Re: Exhaust header theory

To: servaij@cris.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Exhaust header theory
From: MrZAG57@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 16:03:34 EST
In a message dated 3/18/2001 9:09:32 AM, servaij@cris.com writes:

<< If anyone is interested, I found this info that might be helpful to our
Alpine street racers.
Jan >>

Hey Jan,

Does anyone offer a competition header for the Alpine engine? I have tried
several different early series headers on the race car. They each have been
modified at the collector "Y" and then use various lengths and diameters of
pipe. #1 is a pipe that bends at two 45* angles towards the driver's side and
extends to just behind the door and then a 45* with a bologna slice tip. #2
pipe leaves the stock "Y" pipe collar but has had a larger diameter pipe
welded on and this follows the stock layout to the rear of the car and ends
in a megaphone extractor. #3 is a pipe that has the larger diameter pipe
comes back through the "X" frame and then crosses over to the passenger side
and exits just infront of the rear wheel in a balogna slice.

My experience with the three variants have been: #1 Sounds Mean and seems
whimmpy. #2 Sounds Loud as the Hammers of Hell and seems to pull better below
4000 rpms. #3 Sounds OK, but seems to have a flat sensation. It breathes fine
at top and doesn't seem to lose anything on bottom.

All of them use the STOCK head pipes themselves though. Reading your reprint,
it seems as if the most critical mass of exhaust gas would be that mass
contained in the individual header pipe before they go from 4 down to 2.

BUT, I am sure I am wrong.

I don't KNOW anything. ( Remember?)

ZAG