Re: Engine Block Grading

To: <SunbeamAlpine64@aol.com>, <servaij@cris.com>, <humber_snipe@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Engine Block Grading
From: "Ian Spencer" <SpenceIC@Healthall.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:05:55 -0500
True... I've always had my machinist evaluate the bores to determine the wear
before actually buying the pistons too. The machine work is then performed
based on the pistons I supply.

Ian Spencer
Client Services
University Hospital
Health Alliance of Greater Cincinnati
(513) 584-0365

>>> "jon" <humber_snipe@hotmail.com> 03/20/01 09:19AM >>>
        Isn't the best way of fitting to have the pistons first, then
machine to bore to a proper fit? Overbores I've done inthe past were based
on the machinist's evaluation of the bore, and how far he would have to
machine it to make it straight and round again. Once I supplied the pistons,
the block was machined to the proper clearance for those particular pistons.

         In a long term engine, I've always opted for the least rebore
possible, in order to allow another rebore somewhere down the road.

Jon Arzt
Omaha, NE  USA