Alpine Values

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Alpine Values
From: Fritzwich117@cs.com
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 08:50:47 EST
Rich Robertson of Wilmington, DE wondered what a restored Alpine is worth.
I'm sure this will get some play on the Alpine List over the next couple of
days so I thought I would jump start the conversation.
My research and reviews of ads in newspapers, magazines and web sites in the
US and Europe indicate that two different value streams have evolved.  In the
UK the asking price for a "good" Alpine (usually a GT) is in the GBS 6000
ballpark, roughly $9000 US.  I have seen the convertible Alpines w/hardtops
at GBP 7500 (~$11,000 US).  Keep in mind that the Alpine GT had a reputation
for being valued lower than an Alpine with a boot.  The series number/year is
often omitted in these ads so its hard to establish value trends based on
date of manufacture.
In the States the Alpine has held its value for the last 10 years albeit
somewhat lower than other vintage British cars in this class (MGs, Triumphs,
Lotus, etc).  Prices for "good condition" Alpines range from $3000 to $5000
for cars needing some mechanical or cosmetic work.  Cars of show winning
quality are $6000 to $8000.  Of course there are real fix'er up'ers out there
that can be had for $500 - $2000 and stunning examples around $9K.  Then
there is always a real outlier pushing the joy-stick into the $10+K bracket.
Pricing is still very subjective but buying requires objectivity and a sense
of economics.  But, it is apparent that Alpines, like Tigers, are being
valued for their heritage and condition not their age.  A good Series II
could bring as much as a good Series V.  It depends on what you want and your
willingness to pay for something unique.  Keep an eye on the Series III
hybrid (slant fin - square corner windows) between the 63 and 64 model years.
 They are gaining in popularity and value.  Nicely restored examples of this
car are being priced around $7000.  I guess some people just like fins.
...Richard Fritz
Nazareth, PA