[Fwd: oil pipe question]

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fwd: oil pipe question]
From: matttrebelhorn@netscape.net (Matthew Trebelhorn)
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 11:01:40 -0500
I sent this a while ago but never saw it on the list, so here goes again:

So, as I go about rehabbing this 10-year-sitting series 3, I have another
question.

The oil feed to the head is through a little metal pipe that looks like what we
used to call "crazy straws" when we were kids.  (It has a loop in it)

It is held in place by compression fittings at both ends.  So far so good.

On the top end of mine, the nut that compresses the compression fitting is
broken in such a way that it is still fastened tightly, but the part with the
flats has broken off.

That's bad, because without removing this pipe, I can't remove the valve gear,
which I need to do to torque the head, to pull the head, etc. etc.  So, in
order to torque the head (for example), I need to pull the distributor, the oil
filter housing, and the side cover, undo the *bottom* of this pipe, and go from
there.

Do I just chuck the whole thing?  Cut the pipe just below the bronze fitting
and use a screw extractor?  Or will that just rotate the pipe?

Any suggestions?

Thanks, all.

Matt