Re: Reinforced Cross Member

To: "Robert Wiseman" <robman@telocity.com>
Subject: Re: Reinforced Cross Member
From: "Greg Locke" <glocke@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 10:00:48 +1200
The z brackets are small brackets that attach the top of the suspension
turrets at the rear of the top A arms, to the chassis of the car. They are
set up so that you can still shim the suspension arm to adjust camber etc,
but it gives some extra rigidity to the suspension. Apparently they were
added when the rally rapiers started braking crossmembers in their monte
carlo exploits. They were deleted again in around 1964. There were other
suspension changes at the time, and maybe they just didn't line up anymore,
so instead of re-engineering them ($$$$) they just got rid of them.

 I have always wondered if any further mods were done to strengthen the
suspension when these brackets were removed. I race a car with the "Z
brackets" and it limits the amount of neg camber I can put into the wheels,
but I am afraid to remove them and end up with a sagging front crossmember.

Greg