RE: expensive engine noises - update

To: "jumpin'jan" <servaij@cris.com>,
Subject: RE: expensive engine noises - update
From: "Paul and Susan Almjeld" <palmjeld@home.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 08:30:38 -0500
I agree.  The ring gap is a critical measurement that is too often
overlooked when rebuilding an engine.  The usual indication of a broken
piston due to improper (too small) ring gap is a lifting of the piston wall
in the area where the piston piece broke out.  If the piston wall seems to
incline slightly upward, toward the top of the piston, there is a good
chance the reing gap was too small.  In running conditions, particularly if
running a bit hot, the ring will expand to a point where it completely
closes the gap and, on occasion, will cause the piston wall above the top
ring to break away.