Re: expensive engine noises - update

To: SloMoIV@aol.com
Subject: Re: expensive engine noises - update
From: Scott Donnelly <oharajem@free.midcoast.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 12:13:03 -0400
> If the top rings were broken in three our of four pistons, I'd suspect it had
> something to do with the ridges that build up over time at the top of the
> cylinder walls.

(SD): There is almost no evidence of any ring ridge

> Perhaps new piston rings or assemblies were installed in the past without
> reboring the engine.  Honing alone won't totally remove the ridges.

(SD): To my knowledge, the engine has never been apart. Are there any identifing
marks to stock pistons? The connecting rods are each punched with a dimple, ( 1
-
4 on bottom)

> Or perhaps the engine was regularly run and broken in at lower rpms, then
> over-revved on the freeway or at an autocross.

(SD): I think it was always drive pretty gently. Only 1000 miles put on it in
the
last 10 years.

> How long had the engine sat without firing? Any sign of rust?

(SD): No signs of rust. I crank it over monthly (but do not start it) during the
winter months. I doubt the PO did...

> Any sign of pre-detonation damage to any of the pistons?

(SD): Nope...