RE: Oil Pump Installation

To: Ian Spencer <SpenceIC@Healthall.com>, alpines@autox.team.net,
Subject: RE: Oil Pump Installation
From: Jarrid Gross <JGross@econolite.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 08:37:03 -0700
Ian wrote,

>That's a good question. I've always tought the same thing too.
>It never seems to line up quite the same as the illustration
>in the book... Jarrid, What's your take on this? - Ian

When you set the engine to TDC, were you sure that you were on
#1 power, or on the overlap?

If the timing marks on the chain cogs line up, you are NOT where
you want the engine to be to set the oil pump position.
This oen bit me a few weeks ago.

44 degrees is good enough if the engine is clocked right.

Things that effect the angle are:

1) Cam offset keys.
2) Stretched cam chain.
3) Untensioned cam chain.
4) Oil pump gear position relative to the pump mounting base.
5) Sloppy factory machining.

1 2 and 3 are things YOU can control.

4 and 5 are what they are, although a different pump may put
the angles more where they ought to be.

Jarrid Gross