Re: Oil Pump Installation

To: SerIIAlpine@netscape.net
Subject: Re: Oil Pump Installation
From: "jumpin'jan" <servaij@cris.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:03:01 -0700
Eric,
        Number 1 cylinder needs to be in firing position if you follow the
proceedure in the shop manual. When I am assembling an engine, I align
the timing gears, when installing the camshaft, and usually leave it
alone and then install the oil pump (because it's so dang hard to turn
the engine over from friction). However, I later discovered that in that
position, #1 is between exhaust and intake cycles. So, the engine is two
cycles out from firing and needs to corrected before following the
proceedure, of installing the oil pump, in the Rootes shop manual.
Actually, if you think about it, the oil pump just needs to turned just
180 degrees (2 cycles off, eccentric slot on topside) and installed in
the 45 degree position, just like what the manual shows. Everybody got
that?
Jan
--