Shelby Alpine?

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Shelby Alpine?
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 08:55:45 -0700
OK, I have to chime in on this one!  Especially when someone writes
"Probably one of the finest Alpines ever offered on eBay."

"Only 7936 built worldwide"  Well, not really.  That seems to be the figure
for the non-syncro Series IV's, with another 4,470's with syncros and
19,122 total.  So, not totally inaccurate, but certainly misleading.

"beautiful high-back bucket Racing seats"  out of what Japanese econo box?

"This highly collectible 37 year old Sunbeam Alpine IV has all the correct
exterior badges."  Except that he got carried away and put on too many
"correct" badges, with the "Alpine" on the trunk.

"Minilite Rally racing wheels "  Really?  I'm no expert, but those look
like American Racing wheels.  Perhaps it's a version of Minilite I'm not
used to.

"upgraded and gorgeous oak dash package"  Yeah, except non stock tach, no
clock, ammeter or cigar lighter.

"roll-up windows"  What most Alpines on eBay are broken?

"Door panels and upper dash are brand new."  Looks like vinyl from kitchen
chairs.

"It has about 7000 miles on a new 1724cc Overhead valve Alpine 4-cylinder
engine with engine specifications matching exactly to the year and model of
the car. "   Overhead valve?  Like buyers might think it has side valves
because of the plate?  "Matching exactly" what's that?  Is he trying to say
he doesn't have the original engine?  Note that the head is painted black!
Not to mention the engine compartment itself.  And, what's with the speaker
wire running through the engine compartment?  The non-stock coil and fan?
He's got a puller and pusher fan?  How about that brake master cylinder
looking like it has sat at the bottom of the ocean?  And where the heck is
the valve cover breather going?  Hope he doesn't use the windshield washer
that now seems to be doing double duty as an overflow tank.  Seems the
servo is missing too.

"Will fully prosecute due to any non-payer trying to ruin this quality
auction."  Bummer I saw this late.  I'd like to see him try.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=594805599&r=0&t=0