Re: [Re: gearboxes]

To: "lauri lehtinen" <lauri.lehtinen@pp.nic.fi>,
Subject: Re: [Re: gearboxes]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 13:28:47 -0400
The Hillman Super Minx transmission will go right into your Alpine with no
problems.

BUT a transmission from the later Rapier (1968+)... the mini-Barracuda... will
not.  The clutch housing and clutch shaft are longer.  The result is that the
tranmission sits too far rearward in the Alpine.  The solution is to swap the
clutch housing and clutch shaft (not easy).

Jan Eyerman
1973 Hillman Avenger (the tranmission in this car will NOT fit an Alpine)
1962 Hillman Minx Series IIIC Convertible (this transmission will fit an
Alpine)

"lauri lehtinen" <lauri.lehtinen@pp.nic.fi> wrote:
Well,
my main problem is, wether Hillmann Super Minx Sport gearbox fits to my Mk4.
There are no spare Alpine boxes in Finland, but within one hour I jump in my
sedan and drive 200 km to get a Minx tranny. Then I hope I can mix it with a
box from baby cuda, and get working solution for this summer.
Next winter I build a 1725 engine with 270 cam and get a powerline suitable
to that.

So, I was askin about Minxes, not Alpines. And there was some difficulties
with all Hillman sites I tried.

#arry