Overheating & head gaskets

To: Alpine list members <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overheating & head gaskets
From: 110156.3206@compuserve.com
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 00:13:35 -0400
As a former marine repair shop owner, I recall one MerCruiser
sterndrive engine model that had a hard-to-figure head gasket
failure symptom.

The engine was a 4-cyl aluminum block, with a cast iron Ford 460
head.  When a customer came in talking about coolant loss
through the overflow into the reservoir, in foamy surges (after
a high speed run), it indicates a faulty head gasket.  The service
manual said that it could not be detected with a cooling system
pressure test or compression test, and it would not show up at
low speed.

I recall some customers who had been through a lot of things in
their attempts to fix the problem, and had trouble accepting our
diagnosis.  Some people had already spent money elsewhere
without getting a successful repair job.  At least once I let the
customer go run it afterwards himself to verify the repair before
paying.

Carl Wade
B395000858 LRX