Re: Too Hot!!

To: "Rob Taylor" <alpine@toucantradingcompany.com>,
Subject: Re: Too Hot!!
From: "DAVID GREEN" <alpdavegre@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 20:53:33 -0700
Rob,

Don't remove the thermostat. The main purpose is to get the engine up to
operating temperature quickly. The other purpose is a slight restriction so
the coolant that is being pumped into the radiator is slowed down enough to be
cooled by the air passing between the fins. If you remove it you probably will
overheat at highway speeds.

Head gasket could be a problem. When the engine is cool like overnight, start
and run for a minute or so. Does the system develop pressure? If it does a
head gasket is a real possibility. I had this happen to my S4 a long time ago.
i ran it on the freeway at 55mph (remember those speeds?) go 47 mile out and
temp was at 240 pulled of the freeway let car idle and it cooled down. Turned
out that the head needed to be retorqued. Hope this helps some.

Dave Green
10 Alps & 1 Tiger(underrestoration)