Re: What's the skinny on Pertronix?

To: Ed Esslinger <edstiger@charter.net>, Paul Heuer
Subject: Re: What's the skinny on Pertronix?
From: Bob Hamilton <hamilton@accesswave.ca>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 16:31:07 -0400
Hi,

About three years ago I sent Pertronix a Lucas DM2-P4 distributor fitted to
the MK I and III Alpines, 1953-55. When I installed the first kit they
sent, in order to set the timing correctly, I had to rotate the distributor
body 15 degrees retard (that is 30 degrees on the crank). By doing this the
phasing between the rotor position and the cap terminals are now out 15
degrees and under certain circumstances, the spark would have had to arc to
reach the terminal. Not a good scenario as you lose this spark at the plugs.

I returned the distributor to them and explained the situation and they
relocated the "pickup" sensor by 15 degrees on the mounting (breaker) plate
and after reinstalling it, with the distributor in the same position as
when the points were in use, there was no need to adjust the distributor
body to set the timing. After you install one of these kits, there should
be no need to adjust the distributor body to get the timing set properly.
Perhaps a small adjustment on the vernier nut on the vacuum advance
mechanism might be required but no more than that. Keep in mind that one
revolution of this nut is equivalent to 3 degrees on the crank.

I also highly recommend Pertronix as my cars now start easier, run
smoother, and give better mileage and best of all, no points to change or
timing that slowly goes out of whack as the points wear.

Regards,
Bob

At 01:50 PM 2/22/2003 -0600, Ed Esslinger wrote:
>   Hi Paul There was a problem with the LU-142A  in as you could not retard
>the ign. enough, after installing the unit, due to the vacuum advance
>hitting the engine block. They changed the magnet ring to fix this problem.
>  All new units are supposed to have the new magnet ring. I wrote all this up
>some time ago but I can't find it now.  Best Regards  Ed
>
>  LATEST MODEL LU-142A, WITH THE CORRECT MAGNET RING FOR THE SUNBEAM ALPINE.
>THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST IMPROVEMENTS YOU CAN DO TO INCREASE THE RELIABILITY
>OF YOUR IGN. SYSTEM. > This unit is for negative ground cars only Series 5
>or cars that have been changed to negative ground.
>Cool Cat Eddie ,1 S3 GT,3 S4's, 2 S5's, 2 MK1 Tigers

Robert (Bob) A.C. Hamilton, Waverley, Nova Scotia, Canada
Home Page: www.accesswave.ca/~hamilton
Sunbeam Talbots - Alpine, Drophead and Saloon, 1953-1954
Sunbeam Talbot Web Page: www.sunbeamtalbot.info
[Stable mates - 1973 Midget and 1968 M-B 280SE]
E-Mail: hamilton@accesswave.ca or robertach@ca.inter.net