Hub Puller

To: "Alpine, Message" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hub Puller
From: "Thomas Wiencek" <wiencek@anl.gov>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:34:37 -0600
Never tried this but it looks like it might work on an Alpine if you
drill and tap two holes in the hubs.

Here's a quick tip for removing the rear hubs on a disc wheel MGB
without a hub puller.  The rear axle nut is tightened to 150ftlbs, so
these are usually fun to get off.

Generic stuff:
 Remove the road wheel.
 Remove the brake drum.
 Undo the cotter pin and remove the axle nut.
 Spray the axleshaft/hub splines with penetration oil (Kroil, PB
Blaster, Liquid Wrench)
 Tap the hub with a hammer handle/deadblow hammer.

Here's the tip:
 Locate the two threaded holes (1/4-28) in the hub. (these locate the
brake drum)
 Rotate the hub so that these holes line up with the bolt heads for the
axle seal cap.
 Thread a pair of Grade 8 bolts into the holes and screw them in until
they bind against the bolt heads.
 Slowly tighten them against the bolt heads alternating turns until the
hub pops off.
 (I usually fit a piece of flat steel/bar stock so I don't chew up the
bolt head for the axle seal housing).

Tightening the bolts forces the hub away from the housing and off.  Be
sure to use good hardware: grade 2 or 5 bolts can strip the threads
before the hub comes off.  Spend $1 for two good 1/4-28 bolts.