Water Temp. Problem

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Water Temp. Problem
From: Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:12:46 -0800
Hello Sunbeamers:
I've got a new, kind of weird problem. When the Tiger is started dead
cold, the water temperature quickly sometimes goes waaay up (230-240).
No warm air from the heater at all while this happens. Then, over a
couple of minutes, the temp. drops down to normal running temp. (around
170-180 in cool weather here in southern California). After this
original glitch at startup, the temps. are then fine for the rest of the
day, and the heater blows hot. This only happens from a dead cold start.

It seems to me that the thermostat may be sticking. Someone else
suggested I may have air in the heater core, and therefore not enough
water in the system until it warms up and expands, if that makes sense.
I'm either going to bleed the system by loosening a hose connection at
the heater core, or change the thermostat, or both if I have to. What's
likely to be going on?

The Tiger seems to be developing a preference for giving me little
surprises like this a day or so before a planned long drive.

Steve Sage