Re: Luggage Space

To: "Thomas Wiencek" <wiencek@anl.gov>,
Subject: Re: Luggage Space
From: "lauri lehtinen" <lauri.lehtinen@pp.nic.fi>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 22:44:49 +0200
Series 4&5 have upright spare wheel, but:
Leave it home. I have had no flats in my Beam during 14 years, and now I
have spared money (fuel consumption, no acceleration lost by extra weight)
and that extra space on holiday runs. And, my insurance pays all towing
costs, so spare tyre is more than seldom needed. Specially, because it also
tends to be flat when needed!

Some items I have in those awful holes in trunk side panels between fuel
tanks and rear lights. Fuel additive bottole, which is needed in tanking
(lead substitute) has in Finland so long neck you can catch it even when you
have 4 persons luggages and holiday toys (black powder colt and other muzzle
loaders for me and some "stupid beach balls" for childern younger than I).

I had that foam spraycan for years in hope it could repair a flat. I could
never try it. Useless, it may still be - but no empty tyres and no personal
experience of its usefullness.

BTW, there is much to think about the bottom of the spare wheel well. When
raining, it really tends to be a well. So all steel tools rust and it is not
a fair decoration...        But it is a perfect place for components or
tools which are rarely needed.

And 1991 when I visited to Sweden, Germany, BeNeLux countries and to
Denmark, I had a head gasget taped to the inside of hood (engine departement
hood, not that ragtop. Someone humorist could have asked it, anyway). By
luck it was not needed, but it was the only place I could find to carry it
straight (not bended) and safe.

Larry