Re: rebuilding 1725 (horror stories!)

To: bwana@c2i2.com, alpines@autox.team.net, hillman@can-inc.com
Subject: Re: rebuilding 1725 (horror stories!)
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:23:13 EDT
Lou,
       I think you have been dealing with the same Machinists I stopped going
to, many years ago!  Here's a story for you: I hand carried a 1600 crankshaft
with new bearings in hand, to a machine shop for simple journal resizing.  I
spoke to the machinists that would be doing the work and they seemed
qualified.  When it was done, I dropped it into my fresh block and I quickly
discovered
the machinist had accidentally "tagged" the thrust face with his wheel.

       He managed to "machine" a step into it and the thrust face looked like
the top of a coil spring.  I didn't notice it when I picked up the
crankshaft, but during assembly when the engine was rotated by hand, the step
would
catch the thrust washer and wind it right out of the block.  In those days,
there
were no oversize thrust washers available (at least thru BAP and Geo Grasst)
so I returned the crank to the shop and they sent it out to have the thrust
face flame-sprayed.

       Please let me know how well the 1725 oil pump works in your 1600.
Regarding your con-rods, are you saying the shop ground away the oil squirt
"nodes" and made those areas flat?  Perhaps, you could setup a windshield
washer
pump with some aquarium tubing to see what the oil spray pattern looks like,
before you assemble your engine.  What were the two other errors the shop
managed
to do to your project?

       Jim Leach   Pacific Tiger Club     Seattle