Re: Transmission Question

To: Eric Wortmann <ejmwdesign@covad.net>
Subject: Re: Transmission Question
From: Jan Servaites <jservaites@woh.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:14:29 -0700
Eric Wortmann wrote:

> How much play is ok for the forward shaft of the transmission?  (the
> splined shaft that goes through the pressure plate, clutch plate and
> into the flywheel)
>
> I got the old bushing out of the flywheel and put the new one in and I
> just wanted to check before putting it all back together that a little
> bit of lateral play was Normal/OK for the shaft.
>
> By the way I stood the Tranny up on the bellhousing to check for
> leaking around the forward seal and there was none.

You guys be careful when you store the transmission sitting on the
bell-housing and the tail pointing up. I advise you NOT to store them in
that way because all the metal crap that was safely deposited in the
bottom of the case, is now going to migrate right into the front bearings!

--

Jan Servaites (Dayton OH - The Birthplace of Aviation)

              http://www.wright-brothers.org/

              "I am convinced that human flight is
              possible and practical."
                             -- Wilbur Wright, 1899