Re: Transmission Question

To: Eric Wortmann <ejmwdesign@covad.net>, alpines@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Transmission Question
From: "jarrid_gross@earthlink.net" <jarrid_gross@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:14:37 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Eric,

>What would I be looking for?

Look for smooth surfaces on the mainshaft journal, make sure all the needles
are not pitted,
and look at the inside on the bearing face in the input shaft, where the
needles ride in it.

Lastly check the input bearing for smooth operation and corrosion of the
balls/races.

>There was a little oily residue inside the bell housing because the
>worn bushing in the flywheel was allowing the shaft to wobble a little.
>  The seal seems fine.  The shaft only moves maybe 1-mm from side to
>side and I would imagine the new bushing would remedy this wobble.
>Yes/No?

The pilot bushing allowing the input shaft to wobble probably didnt help with
your oil problem,
but most likely it is worn and will leak again later.

I have ran across two alpine transmissions in recent history each had thrashed
input shaft needles, which
in turn damaged the mainshaft.  One trans I got that way, the other I found out
after it began to squeel
with the clutch in.  I wish I had checked the trans out before I insatlled it...

You live in the LA area right?

Bring it by, I'll have a look at it.

Jarrid Gross
SII 1725 EFI