A monumentous occasion!

To: <alpines@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: A monumentous occasion!
From: "humbersnipe" <humbersnipe@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:07:54 -0500
Hi all,

        Couldn't do a lot of work today, as I wrenched my back yesterday at
work, and I'm still feeling it. Fortunately, a long-awaited pair of exhaust
clamps came in yesterday as well.  I figured lying on a creeper wouldn't be
much worse than lying on the couch, so I limped off to the garage.

        Last year I finally brought my Alpine 1200 miles across country, and
it's been resting in my garage while I attend to a few things. New rear
brakes, rebuilding the carbs (yet again!). When you've had a car for almost 25
years, you lose track of how many times you've done certain jobs!! Another was
fitting the lovely new stainless steel exhaust system my wife gave me for my
last birthday. (Which came without clamps.)

        This brings me back to the ordered clamps. I didn't want to use U-bolt
clamps, as I didn't want to pinch the pipes. I want to be able to take the
pieces apart if I need to! Striking out at all my usual sources, I found that
the local motorcycle shop had 1 3/4" flat band exhaust clamps, and could order
the 1 5/8" ones. So I ordered a pair last week.

        Everything slid together fine, the clamps fit great, and before you
know it, I was ready to turn the key. It fought me a little as the Grose jet
in the rear carb was stuck shut, but I tapped on the carb and it started
making the most wonderful sound - my car was running again!!! So what if my
Alpine has Harley parts on it!

        I had to store this car on a tarp, under a cover, in my brother's
backyard for 5 years before I had a chance to bring it to my new home. I
dreaded trying to put it into gear, I just knew the clutch had to be stuck. So
after letting it warm up, I put it in 4th, pushed down the clutch, and tapped
the key. It turned over fine, the car didn't budge! I let up the clutch and
started the engine, and with the clutch down, shifted into all the gears. No
trouble at all! The overdrive circuits even work! Hooray!!

        Now, the monumentous occasion of the subject line - I have 4
Rootesmobiles in my garage, and they are all driveable. Not restored, maybe
not even presentable, but driveable. I can get into any one of them, pull the
choke, turn the key, and drive. (Well, after I get all the stuff off the
garage floor.)

           This Alpine was the first car I ever owned that I swore I'd never
sell. And that hasn't changed in almost a quarter century. I don't care what
breaks or what happens, I will always fix this car.  I've had practically
every part of it in my hands at one time or another. I love driving it, it
feels perfect. It's easy to work on. It's logical, in a British-car sort of
way.

Right now, it doesn't make my back feel any better, but it sure does my heart
good!

Jon Arzt
Omaha, NE  USA
1958 Hillman Minx Series II convertible
1966 Sunbeam Alpine Series V
1966 Humber Super Snipe Series V estate
1967 Sunbeam Arrow estate
1967 Sunbeam Funwagon (won't fit in the garage, but it's driveable, too!)

Check out the new British Cars Forum: