Weird Electrical Problem

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Weird Electrical Problem
From: The Lees <jsrlee@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 18:43:59 -0600
Problem: Quits running for no apparent reason. It's as if I turned the
ignition key off.
Solution 1: Faulty ignition switch. I traded the Alpine Ign switch for the one
in my project Tiger.
Results: OK for awhile but same thing happened about a week later. Seems to
have something to do with applying load to the electrical system. Turned the
blower on-it died. Activate the horn-it died. But very erratic. Isolate the
blower and horn it ran fine for a week then died.
Mystery 1. On occasion after it dies there is no response at all from the
starting circuit. Turn the key-nothing. Wait a couple of minutes, turn the key
it fires.Go for a drive, everything seems fine and out of the blue-it dies.
Mystery 2. Today I noticed a shabby ground connection on the voltage
regulator, field iso relay and ign warning light so I re-wired it and ran the
ground to the fender/firewall strut. Fired it up and ran fine at 1000 until I
turned on the signal lights. It died.
Mystery 3. Even though the ammeter shows positive charge the ign warning light
will erratically go on and off. Not often but enough to be
a headache.
Important History? 2 summers ago after an engine rebuild I had a wiring
harness problem when I shorted out the live feed for the radio. Lots of smoke
! Traced all the damaged wire from the Ignition source and replaced and
repaired. Did not go to totally new harness. Didn't think it was serious
enough. The big question for me is how can the ignition circuit just up and
quit because of a downstream electrical drain that should blow one of the 2
fuses if it has a dead short
Probable Solution: I anticipate that the experienced gurus on the list will
tell me the only way to fix it for sure is to go to a new harness and I can
accept that as long as somebody can explain the logic that is obviously
escaping me.
John Lee
65 SV B395000793 LRX
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.