Re: Weird Electrical Problem

To: The Lees <jsrlee@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Weird Electrical Problem
From: Roger Gibbs <rgibbs@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 18:55:27 -0700
On Jun 9, 2005, at 5:43 PM, The Lees wrote:

> Problem: Quits running for no apparent reason. It's as if I turned the
> ignition key off.
> snip

Sounds to me like an intermittent connection in the electrical system
which is
somewhere in the circuit path from the battery to the coil.

Years ago had a very similar problem, very hard to find, ultimately to
a bad
connector on the + terminal of the battery.

How to find an intermittent connection?  That is tricky but here is
a suggestion: connect a test lamp from the ignition coil and gnd such
that when the
key is in the run position the light is on. Start either at the harness
feeding the coil and
work back to the battery' or start at the battery and work toward the
coil.  Use a wiring
diagram to help.  Grab the harness and pull and twist, jiggle the wires
on connectors
amd switches, jiggle the ignition switch, etc.  Basically you are
hoping to see the light
go off or flicker when you disturb the faulty connection.

Good luck,

-Roger

Check out the new British Cars Forum: