autox-cm

Re: CM stuff

To: tmgreen3@home.com
Subject: Re: CM stuff
From: VDieman@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:14:12 EDT
Terry,

Have you read the SCCA Solo II Rulebook?  The book might address some of your
questions about what is legal in Solo II vs. FF GCR.

Also, I can tell you that the pistons that came out of my FF engine were
stock legal and the pistons that went right back in the same sleeves were
stock legal.  (of course, it took about 6 months of searching at the time to
come up with 4 pistons of the same characteristics and numbers...)  The
flywheel was machined by Craig Taylor to accept the Tilton clutch unit.  It
was a couple of ounces overweight when I got it back.  If I machine it and it
is too light, I will replace it.  However, the FF machine shops all have
stacks of slightly underweight flywheels laying around waiting for the SCCA
to change the minimum weight by a pound or two, thereby allowing everyone to
begin selling these old flywheels again.

I do not doubt that there are a number of cars out there running with engines
that were built by a previous owner and are not legal.  However, there are a
number of folks in Solo that spend the time and money to do it right and be
fast at the same time.  If your car has been improperly modified, please fix
it yourself.

The idea of saving money when racing cars never has made any sense to me.  I
have found that the only constant is that when you race is that it is
expensive.  Spec tire rules do not save a dime for most folks.  The top level
drivers/teams will only run the tires the number of runs/heat cycles that
they feel they can be the fastest with.  Once they use them up, they toss
them out.   The guys at the other end of the food chain use their tires as
long as the cord doesn't show.  Everyone else is somewhere between these
extremes, and if a person cannot keep up with the budget of the "fast guys"
then that person will not be as competitive.  Doesn't mean you can't race and
have fun, just don't expect a podium finish at Runoffs, or the top 5 at the
Tire Rack Nationals.

IMHO,

Bill Engle Jr.
89 CM