autox-cm

Re: Great fuel mileage?

To: autox-cm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Great fuel mileage?
From: Mark Sirota <mark@sirota.org>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 15:01:18 -0400
--On Monday, June 03, 2002 10:33 PM -0400 Mark Sirota <mark@sirota.org>
wrote:
> It is a Microdynamics.  I figure maybe under years of vibration maybe the
> potentiometer has slipped, or perhaps years of heat have finally toasted
> the thing.

As suggested, I've gone through the ignition system looking for anything
that looks wrong, but everything looks fine -- most things (plugs, points,
cap, rotor) look brand new, even though they're more than a season old now.

The documentation that comes with the Microdynamics RL3 gives a detailed
explanation in their troubleshooting guide of what might cause the rev limit
to come in too soon, which they call "contact bount/multi-firing".  The
explanation reads:

        All Over-Rev Limiters operate by counting ignition sparks to
        determine the engine rpm.  If the ignition system is multiple-
        firing due to contact breaker bounce or an ignition system
        problem the rev limiter will count too high a number and it
        will then operate at a lower actual engine rpm than the one set.

        An ignition system that produces spurious sparks is not
        desirable and should be corrected.  The best solution is to fit
        a decent ignition system with good bounce suppression circuitry.

Can anyone translate this into english for me?  I understand what they
mean by spurious sparks, but I don't know what "bounce" means.  What
would be bouncing?  Specifically, what parts of my ignition system should
I be looking to correct?

Thanks for your continued help!

Mark