autox-cm

Re: Muffler Question

To: Sam & Greg Scharnberg <samandgreg@netins.net>
Subject: Re: Muffler Question
From: Charlie Mathews <cmathews3@mchsi.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 21:53:32 -0500
I use a Supertrap and would suggest it.  At the one event that I
attended (92 Detroit Pro Solo) that they measured db, my car was 96 db
at ~100 feet without a muffler.  We had to be below 96db so I put the
Supertrap on.  I got no feedback on noise after the muffler installation
since I was well below the limit.

It all really comes down to how they plan on measuring the db level.
Several cars, at that event, were noisier than me, but their exhaust was
on the other side of the car from the guy with the db meter.  So they
were considered OK.  The Supertrap, as you know disperses the sound 360
deg so less noise goes in any one direction.  You can also remove plates
(increasing back pressure) which will lower the sound level if necessary.

Another idea I would suggest, you might wish to bring a 90 deg bend to
put on the car exhaust.  With this exhaust piece, you can direct the
sound in any direction.  UP would probably give the best results.

These are of course only my humble opinions, so I suggest you experiment
with any idea before traveling 500 miles.

Charlie Mathews
'83 Lola T642
IMHO     Lastly, noise is dependent on the ear of the listener.  Some
will never be happy.