Re: SnowFlake Solo Series

To: "Brian Naumann" <brn6604@mactac.com>
Subject: Re: SnowFlake Solo Series
From: Paul Czarnecki <oblique@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 08:09:29 -0500
At 1:33 AM +0000 1/4/99, Brian Naumann wrote:
>Second, a general question to anyone who uses snow tires:  do studs
>really make that much of a difference?  I just picked up some
>"studdable" tires for the CRX and am debating whether or not to have
>it done.  I saw the studs on a friend's tires the other day and I was
>disappointed with how "civilized" they are.  And $12/tire sucks when
>the tires only cost $36 apiece to begin with.

Studs, along with tread pattern, can make a huge difference.

But rubber compound also plays a major role.  There are a bunch of "hi
tech" snow tires out there that will astound you if you have never driven
on them before:  Bridgestone Blizzak and Yokohama Guardex 600.  I have
owned these and loved them.  Nokian Hakkapelitta also has a steller
reputation.  I have not yet driven the new Hakka 1 on ice so I really can't
comment on it.

I'm not a huge fan of studding.  Studs on wet asphalt are downright scary.

Just like race tires, if you want traction in the winter, stay away from
junk tires.
pZ
--
Paul Czarnecki