Re: Babygrands [Was : Spridgets in DP]

To: Kendall F Jones <mrjones2@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Babygrands [Was : Spridgets in DP]
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 18:13:53 -0700
Kendall F Jones wrote:

> Groovy.
>
> Wow, all those caps make my head hurt.  Why is the rulebook shouting??
>
> I still think that someone could develop a solo only BG and kick all our
> butts.  The SCCA should (at the very least) summarize in the solo rulebook
> the finer points of baby grands.
>
> thanks for the pointer though (whos side are you on anyway??)

Don't take this personally, but I kinda like the Babygrands. :-) Sortof
like a D or C sports racer clothed in a NASCAR look alike body. I'm not
in favor of promoting overdog cars though. And I don't see that the BG
has that kind of potential.

Granted, the engine has potentially as much power as many of the D-P
cars, they suffer the lack of any kind of limited slip. Also, while
these Yamaha engines have twice the rev range as the larger 1500 and
1600 engines. The power is fairly peaky, and the mid range torque of the
larger engines will have quite an advantage. Secondly, they have to
remain shaft drive, adding alot of rotating mass to the driveline. And
the carbs, cams, pistons etc. have to remain stock as well. Yes, they
are a bit narrower than most of the rest of the DP cars, but they also
are down on torque to pretty much the rest of the class.

I don't see them as an overdog, but I could be wrong. I think at 1200ccs
and 1450lbs, they're right in there with the rest of the class.

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/