Re: 2 questions

To: autocross list <autox@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: 2 questions
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 00:51:00 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Eric Linnhoff wrote:
> So........My question is this:  Do I leave it in 2nd and just ride the
> redline (but duck the rev limiter which kicks in at 7250) for that 50-60
> yards or so until I reach my braking point or do I, at redline, briefly
> shift into 3rd and then right back down into 2nd?  Or should I possibly
> shift to 3rd earlier, before I reach the redline in 2nd gear, and "lug" the
> car part way down the straight in 3rd gear at lower rpms where the power
> band isn't quite at it's best?

My take, given the situation you describe, would be to tag the rev limiter
until you hit the braking zone.  The neon rev limiter, at least in my SOHC
ACR, doesn't seem to slow the car much and at the speeds you're talking
about, I think you'd eat up 20 or 30 of those 60 yards shifting and
getting the power back down.  I think the foot dance to get back into
second a moment later would slow you down more than the shift would speed
you up.

Now, in my SOHC, faced with a similar situation, I'd be tempted to shift a
bit earlier (the SOHC seems to run outta breath 500 or so rpm before the
rev limiter) and get a good squirt of third.

Mark