Re: Porsche 924 for Autocross?

To: "Moss, Thomas" <thomas.moss@intel.com>
Subject: Re: Porsche 924 for Autocross?
From: Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 20:10:54 -0800
Thomas Moss wrote:

>         I've recently been thinking about getting a Porsche 924 or 924
> turbo as a project car.  How competitive are they in autocross events?

The only serious 924 (not 924S) autox effort of which I am aware was
fielded by Melvin Mobbs in E Stock. His highest finish was 8th in the 93
Solo II Nationals. Melvin had about as optimal a setup as you can get
with a 924. You want an '80 or later with the brake/wheel size upgrade
(you can tell by the five-lug hubs). This gets you 15 x 6 rims, larger
brakes, and a five-speed with pretty good ratios for autox. The cars are
pretty heavy, and there's not much straight-line acceleration, but their
braking and cornering are very impressive.

> Would they run in the same class as the 914s?

Not in Stock. The 914 is in BS, the 924 Turbo is in DS, and the 924 is
in ES (based on my memory). The 924 is in CSP - as are the 914
4-cylinders - but I would be skeptical of its prospects in that class.
It's just too heavy to be a contender there.

I can say from experience driving Melvin's car in competition that the
924 is an extremely fun autox car. I wouldn't necessarily count on it
winning against some of the newer cars, however.

Jay