Re: Re Autocross Run Group ?'s

To: JTHOR11@aol.com
Subject: Re: Re Autocross Run Group ?'s
From: Pat Kelly <lollipop@ricochet.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 19:10:42 -0700
Jim,
    We have large events in our area, and for the Winter Slush (never has
snowed,
so it's a facetious title) Series, of about five events, we use six groups, with
classes assigned to each group. The first four groups, Gr 1 works for Gr3, and
the reverse, and Gr 2 works for Gr 4, and the reverse. The "afternoon" groups, 5
& 6 work for each other.
    The groups rotate from event to event, so that you only run first one out of
six events. When everyone in one class runs at the same time, then everyone in
the class knows how that class came out before they leave, plus they all have
similar weather and site conditions, much more fair IMHO.
    When the regular season starts, we have eight groups, with a similar
work/run
set up. We anticipate we will have over 200 at our Round 1, and with the short
winter days, we'll have to be very efficient to give everyone three runs.
    The three runs stay in effect until Daylight Savings Time, then we go to
four
runs, as the days are longer.
    We find we need a minimum of 20 workers per group and try very hard to have
the group entry levels about the same, though we never know how many will show
up. We do not have any preregistration; they all enter when they arrive, so
often
the line there is a bit long as both Groups 1 and 3 need to sign up right away.
We stick to the same classes in each group for a period of time, until we see if
some classes are growing, or others are shrinking, and made adjustments.
    The advantages to having shorter run groups is nobody is exhausted or bored
by standing out on course forever, usually, at the longest 1.5 hours, hopefully
less. Attention spans don't shorten, and feet don't die.
    Our registration closes at noon, and tech a half hour later; both open at 8
a.m. We start running at 9 a.m.
    There are course walkthroughs before the event, and after the fourth group.
    There is plenty of time for socializing and fun. One of the drawbacks is not
everyone is there at the end of the day, so rarely are there any gatherings
after
the event; anyway, what restaurant would want 200 plus folks showing up thirsty
and hungry Sunday night?
--Pat Kelly