Re: Towing with the Ford V10

To: "Bob Mosso" <mosso@pcmagic.net>, "autox" <autox@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Subject: Re: Towing with the Ford V10
From: "Steve Hoult" <stevehoult@home.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 13:29:32 -0600
>I'm in need for a new tow vehicle and have decided to go for a F250 V10.
>I'll be towing about 3500 lbs worth of race car and trailer, over 12000
>feet on occasion. I'll also be towing 5500 lbs worth of a travel trailer
>for family vacations.

>Does anyone have experience with the Ford V10? Word of advise, like
>don't tow in overdrive?

If they are still using the same tranny as they did in my '94 E250 w/351 and
towing package, DO NOT TOW IN OD!!!! You will have a major melt down. For
some reason, towing in OD at any time will cause problems with early
retirement for your tranny later on. Maybe Ford has fixed this by now. My
E250 exhibited probles as early as 20K miles but not enough so that the
dealer could verify it. It finally went completely bad at about 85K

Steve Hoult  '89 MR2 SC ASP9
Subscribe to the MR2 SC mail list at
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/mr2sc
www.mr2sc.com