flipping&rolling

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: flipping&rolling
From: RacerRay52@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 12:12:00 EST
     So...
     I guess no one has seen a Neon actually go belly up in an autox. The
hints of disaster I asked about must have all been in roadracing.
     But a number of very good drivers have been up on two wheels and very
close to disaster.
     I think I'm going to look for a car that is a little lower, wider and
more stiffly sprung for my Sunday fun.
     If very good drivers have been so close to going over...well...
     A famous fellow who described himself to me as a "vehicle dynamics
expert" once described my driving style as "over the top". Probably true in
some of my more rambunctious moments. Not always. But it only takes one brief
miscue to turn this relatively cheap form of racing  ruinously expensive
     I need a car that is a little more idiot-proof.
     Course designers need to make their courses more idiot-proof.
     "Idiot" is, of course, a bit of hyperbole. Amateur-proof would be better.
     20 years of autoxing really only gets you a few hours of seat time. And
each course is different so it is too easy to find yourself in a situation
where it gets away from you.
     And then there are the rules that allow tires with grip far beyond the
car's designed capacity.
     Risky fun.