Re: Novice Course Workers

To: "Keith Wheeler" <keithw@sand.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Novice Course Workers
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 15:40:07 -0600
There is yet another benefit to teaming experienced course workers with
newbies.

While working on a corner or light pole, both the veteran and the new guy
are much closer to the action than the spectators on the sidelines.  The
experienced worker/racer can help try to show the newbie the proper lines
and other nuances by pointing to actual cars that are on the course and what
they're doing wrong or right.

That can help make lower lap times and more fun for the newbie because they
can actually see a demonstration of what they're being told.  Something like
this: "See the way that car is hugging the inside of the corner at the apex
and then starts to slowly release the wheel and apply more power in the
exit".

Of course they should keep a close watch of the cars (and cones) on course
but if they're actually watching where a car is driving they will tend to
have their eyes on the course and not fall asleep at the wheel.

It took me many events before I learned not to actually watch the cars as
they roared past me but rather watch the cones themselves to make sure that
the driver hadn't displaced one even a little.  That is another benefit of
working a corner with an experienced racer.  More workers to keep closer
tabs on the course.  The newbie can watch the cars and how other drivers
choose their lines and the veteran can actually keep their beady little eyes
on the cones to see if they move.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

Running my rig around ninety-five
Rockin' and rollin' in overdrive
My heart's beating like a jackhammer
It's the midnight ride for the gear jammer
"Gear Jammer"  George Thorogood & The Destroyers