Re: Helmet requirements for SOLO II

To: Dale Botkin <dale@botkin.org>
Subject: Re: Helmet requirements for SOLO II
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 19:50:42 -0800
Dale

The 1998 rule book (sure do wish the '99s were out!!!) states in
section 4.3.A:  "...All helmets meeting the current or two immediately
preceding Snell Foundation standards (SA or M) are acceptable."  Since
the Snell 2000 standards won't come out until sometime later in 1999,
and the '95 standards are now the norm, the '85 helmets are good for
one more year.

However, I would caution you (and I'm sure Rocky and others will chime
in here, too) that you should NEVER buy a used helmet.  First, you
have no idea what kind of punishment that helmet has been put
through.  And, second, you have no idea what kind of cooties might be
living in that helmet!!! 8<{)

Why not just wait until the Y2K spec helmets come out (use a loaner
until then if you have to) and then buy one that will last you for
many (or is that MINI?) years to come?!?  You can get an HJC, Vector,
or other Asian-made helmet for less than 100-bucks from J.C. Whitney,
your local motorcycle shop, or several other sources.  But remember,
it's always better to buy your helmet IN PERSON.  That way you KNOW
how it's going to fit before you plunk down your money!!!

And EVERYBODY needs to remember that when the Y2K rules come out, a
lot of us are going to HAVE to buy new helmets and/or new loaner
helmets for our clubs.  Anybody remember when it used to be just
DOT-approved????

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman