Re: Pro Solo changes for '99

To: adahl@eskimo.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pro Solo changes for '99
From: TeamZ3@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 22:14:25 EST
adahl@eskimo.com writes:

> *However, we have decided that it is unfair to
>  allow the ineligible driver of a two-driver team additional chances at the
>  Challenge, and therefore, this will not be allowed. Relative to the final
>  standings, it is somewhat inconsequential, as only one driver would be
>  eligible for the required Finale Challenge*.
>
>  Anybody have any idea what this is *'d section is saying? Are two-driver
>  teams allowed or not? If so does only the fastest make the challenge? This
>  is very unclear to me.

That's because it's a paraphrase of the whole 2 driver situation.  Yes, you
can have two drivers, but only the fastest one is eligible for the Challenge,
no exceptions.  That's it in a nutshell.  Simple, eh?

>  The other paragraph was:
>
>  "New for 1999: Drivers in any Challenge competition are allowed to "break
>  out" twice. On the third break-out, they are disqualified".
>
>  The problem I see here is what if the entire event is conducted in the rain
>  but then the weather clears for the Challenge? (you can see I am thinking
>  like a Seattlite here :-) IMHO there needs to be some method for the Event
>  Chief to declare it a "rain event" (or more correctly a "sun event" I
>  guess) and waive this rule lest the Challenge turn into a bracket race.

I forgot to mention that earlier, glad you did because I had exactly the same
thought!  I agree about the rain event situation.  The '97 Columbus Pro is a
perfect example.  It POURED the entire event, up until the Challenge, when
everyone was breaking out by 1 second or more each round.

Too bad I didn't see T. Ellam spin, only to get nicked by J. Ames in the next
round.  :-(     Coulda-shoulda-woulda......yeah, yeah, yeah. :-)

M Sipe