Re: Pro Solo changes for '99

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pro Solo changes for '99
From: pykac@sunset.backbone.olemiss.edu (Karen Christoff)
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 17:09:40 -0600 (CST)
TeamZ3@aol.comb writes:

>> *However, we have decided that it is unfair to
>>  allow the ineligible driver of a two-driver team additional chances at the
>>  Challenge, and therefore, this will not be allowed. Relative to the final
>>  standings, it is somewhat inconsequential, as only one driver would be
>>  eligible for the required Finale Challenge*.
>>
>>  Anybody have any idea what this is *'d section is saying? Are two-driver
>>  teams allowed or not? If so does only the fastest make the challenge? This
>>  is very unclear to me.

>That's because it's a paraphrase of the whole 2 driver situation.  Yes, you
>can have two drivers, but only the fastest one is eligible for the Challenge,
>no exceptions.  That's it in a nutshell.  Simple, eh?

There is a bit more to it than that, Mark.  As I understand it, this evolved
from the notion that the second driver of a two driver team might compete in
three different events and go to the challenge.  I'll make it simple using
Tom and John as an example:  assume that Tom and John compete at Ft. Myers,
Petersburg, and Harrisburg,  John beats Tom at all three events and drives
in the challenge at all three.  Tom could not then go to any later events in
the series, say Utah or Seattle, and compete in the challenge.   What it
means, practically, is that, to the extent that they can do so, a "team"
needs to make a decision early in the season about which member will be the
faster.  I personally dislike the fact that both drivers cannot go to a
challenge at a single event, for obvious reasons.  I found the Petersburg
challenge last year, where Tom and John ended up first and second, to be
extremely exciting and fun.  You may disagree.  Obviously Howard does.

Karen Christoff
Team Lombardo's Slowest Driver