What tires for a Probe GT?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: What tires for a Probe GT?
From: Mark Noeltner <mnoeltne@ezl.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 10:40:11 -0600
Hi all!!

Like everyone else I'm now considering what tire to buy since the old R-1
is gone. Probably G-Force or Kumho (especially since Tire Rack has them now!).

In the opinion of the esteemed members of team.net, which one would work
better on a heavy FWD car like the Probe? The R-1 with the asymetrical
sidewall gave me great performance and life. I always had them shaved since
the Probe is a 3000 lb. car.

BFG says the G-Force doesn't need shaving since they only have 3/32 to
start with, but what about that thread from a while back on having
noticeable tread before the event, and not just the check holes either.
Will these tires have to be retired early even though there is still rubber
on them?

Kumho: shave or don't shave? What about the relative lack of traction after
50% or so use as I've been seeing in recent posts? Will Rocky's traction
stuff help? Or does the rubber compound itself change as you go deeper
(like on the Blizzaks)?

Plus any comparisons from people who have run both on a FWD car would be of
great help!

TIA for all your help.

Mark Noeltner
'95 Probe GT G-Stock