Re: What tires for a Probe GT?

To: "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What tires for a Probe GT?
From: Walter Fooshee <wfooshee@csi.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 22:38:11 -0600
That 131K is encouraging, I'm only up to 85.  Bet yours didn't sit in a puddle
of
salt water though, did it? (Hurricane Opal, October '95) As for tires, the only
set I've had was a set of Hoosiers, so I can't make any comparisons to other
autox
tires. I liked the Hoosiers, and they were worth 3 to 5 seconds a run (60 to 80
second courses) but I didn't set up the camber they wanted, and lost the
tread/sidewall area fairly soon on all of them.  Turned them around on the
wheels
to get more life, and ran well past when they should have retired, just to keep
my
street tires off the course.  I'm not so serious about this that I want to spend
hours under the car resetting the alignment at every event, I just want rubber
for
burning that;s different from rubber for street.  There will be more money in
the
kitty this year, so I may actually buy some tires again. Word around the guys in
our little region is Kuhmo's.  Everybody went through the Hoosiers, liked them
but
couldn't afford new tires every two months. I'd heard similar reports on the
Yokos, but haven't seen first hand.

Walter Fooshee
Dixie Region Probe GT