Re: SCCA Stock Class

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SCCA Stock Class
From: "Jim Fossum" <jfossum1@nycap.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 12:00:31 -0500
Nathan Dyck wrote:

> I have a 91 MR2 Turbo with about 103K miles.  Some of the vacuum hoses
are
> getting old and I want to replace all of them with black silicon hose.
Is
> this legal for A-Stock or do I have to use OEM hose?  Would this be
> considered OEM equivalent?  I can't imagine it making any performance
> difference, but the rules can be strange sometimes.

John Lieberman Replied:
>Shouldn't be a problem, Nathan.  To me, it would be just like
>replacing your factory water hoses with top-quality Gates hoses or
>your factory oil filter with a Fram.  Vacuum hoses are expendable
>parts, just like water hoses and oil filters, and can be replaced by
>aftermarket parts...just as long as they don't create a "performance
>advantage."  ...

On a turbo car this gets a little tricky since the hoses are part of the
boost control system.  It is possible to affect the boost by running
different diameter (or length) hoses in some cases.  However, if you go to
your dealer and ask for an OEM wastegate hose, they'll just cut you off a
length of the same stuff you get at Pep Boys.  I'd say you should run
something as close as possible to stock.  Anything else is just asking for
protests on a turbo car.

Jim