Re: Effects of Current Rules - an Observation

To: brnrubr@midusa.net, dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: Re: Effects of Current Rules - an Observation
From: Pat MacAvoy <patmac@tridelta.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 14:24:03 -0500 (EST)
> From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
> Subject: Re: Effects of Current Rules - an Observation
>
> > In light of this I would suggest your write modifications
> > to the current rules and present them to your [local region]
> > for incorporation locally. Be sure and publish this in your
> > newsletter, and at events for visitors.
>
> This is an entirely reasonable suggestion, but it contains a serious problem:
> the possible Balkanization of various Regional rulebooks.
>
> For people who compete entirely within a given Region, no problem. But for
>those
> folks that live on on near Regional boundries (or who travel) it's much better
> if the rulebooks are consistent.

As one that ran in at least 6 regoins (that I can recall, offhand) last year,
  I have to agree with the consistent rulebook.

> A "weenie" protest is a protest intended to accomplish in Impound what could
>not
> be accomplished on the track. The more inconsequential the infraction, the
> higher the "weenie factor".

Maybe.

> Consider these scenarios:
>
> 2) Competitor A and Competitor B trade wins at almost every event, and are in
> tight race for a year-end championship. No car is dominant. A needs 2 more
>wins
> to wrap up the championship, and goes looking for rules infractions
> _specifically to take B out of contention_ (that's important) and finds the
> wheels. Weenie? Tough call. B is most definatly in the wrong by the letter of
> the rules, but all he's done is make his car competitive. A doesn't want to
> chance being beaten on the track, and is fishing. While this isn't weenie by
>the
> rules, it sure _smells_ like weenie by intent....

I have to take exception to this...  I am involved in a region where a certain
  driver/car is dominant, and I've only been able to beat him once.  And
  you're calling me a weenie because I want to be sure that his car
  is legal, after competitors tell me it isn't?  Hogwash!

If I did look at his car and find out that it wasn't legal, who would benefit?
  Obviously, I would, but so would the rest of the class (as J mentioned).
  There aren't things written into the rules to allow people to 'make
  themselves competitive' for a reason.  Unless you have a rule comittee
  making decisions after each event what each person's handicap for the
  next event is, there is no way to even come close to ensure any hint of
  fairness.

If you want to use the rulebook, fine.  Do it.  If not, there's usually lots
  of room in DM and EM.  Don't ask me to compete against somebody in an illegal
  car, with my legal car.

pat(so legal, I'm boring!)mac
Pat MacAvoy
a.k.a. konekiller@tridelta.com