Re: R&T #3: The G-Force T/A R1 is "street-usable"?

To: Alan Pozner <apozner@epix.net>, Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Subject: Re: R&T #3: The G-Force T/A R1 is "street-usable"?
From: rohns@doitnow.com (Jim & Marilyn Rohn)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 11:27:50 -0700 (MST)
At 9:07 AM 1/30/99, Alan Pozner wrote:
>Brian M Kennedy wrote:
>>
>> In a sidebar in the Feb issue of R&T, they assert that the new
>> g-Force T/A R1 was designed to be "street-usable".  As someone
>> trying to pick an "R" tire to try as my street tires during
>> this next autox season, I'd like to hear the opinions of those
>> who've actually driven the new tires....

snip

>I too read the sidebar. I think its BS.
>
>I have now driven my BFG GForce R1s in one Auto-x. I liked 'em but my
>limited experience with R tires makes my opinion kind of meaningless
>compared to more veteran drivers. I did drive the tires about 5 miles on
>the street (up to about 80mph). I'd say they were borderline streetable.
>They are pretty much non compliant (they don't act like springs as
>normal street tires do) They were noticeably noisy. But they were fun.
>
>The big thing is I would be absolutely petrified in any RAIN. After just
>one event the tread around the edge of the tire is basically gone. The
>inside tread is intact but noticeably lower than the new 3/32" There is
>no way that these treads could channel any amount of water out of the
>way of the tire. I can't see how you could avooid aquaplaning in even
>the lightest drizzle. Now if you live in the desert....

and we do. I still don't use them for everyday use. HOWEVER, the wife's '96
LT4 Corvette is going to be wearing a new set of the KD street tire. Full
tread, GREAT rain grip, NAD good enough to run autox's with, especially
with the 200 tread rating will be wiping up in the Street Tire class.

YMMV

Jim Rohn
Beater Racing
Scottsdale, AZ

where all the idiots that dress like dolts are glogging up my roads in
their rental cars trying to get to the Phoenix open (just 2 miles away from
our house) ... that golf thing

and no, I don't golf