RE: removeable Rearview

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: removeable Rearview
From: Bret Dodson <bret@serv.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 17:40:02 -0800 (PST)
I would argue that if the BMW literature says the mirror can be removed,
the car can be run without it in place.  For justification, I submit the
following portions of 13. Stock category.

"Except for modifications authorized below, Stock Category cars must be
run as specified by the factory with only standard equipment as defined by
these Rules."

The phrase "run as specified by the factory" is key.  IF BMW says the
mirror is removable, you can remove it.

Though you better have proof:

"The entrant has the burden of proving that his car conforms to these
Rules by his owner's manual, manufacturer's shop manual, manufacturer's
catalogs or other official manufacturer's documentation, which must be in
the possession of the entrant at the event."

Look through the factory documentation.  If the BMW documentation says the
mirror is removable, you can race with it removed.

Bret Dodson
'96 Miata R
Seattle, WA