Re: Suggested Spring Rate for ESP Eclipse GSX

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Suggested Spring Rate for ESP Eclipse GSX
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 07:59:55 -0400
Gary_Lingertot@amsinc.com wrote:

> I've running a 1998 Eclipse GSX in ESP,

Hey, welcome to the club of the few, the proud, the weird! :)

> I'm about to order a Ground Control coilover suspension. I was
> wondering if anyone could provide some recommendations for spring
> rates. I can get them in 50 lb increments.

There's about 4 other DSM ESP folks who race "seriously" and I think all of us
are running different spring rates and shocks. There is no "Daddio setup" for
our cars that you can just slap on and go win with.

You'll wind up doing some of your own development.

I'm running 550 up front and 350 in the rear with the RM Racing (www.rmdsm.com -
tell him Dennis sent you) sway bars. The car is ever-so-slightly loose with no
rear toe and 1/16" front toe out, with the Konis on full stiff and 275 40R17
g-forces.

The street ride (on Michigan roads, just slightly smoother than the surface of
the moon) is fine, not harsh or nasty at all.

However, on bumpy surfaces, the car will patter and slide at high speeds,
although I don't know if that's springs or shocks.

Incidently, those bars did more for the car than the coilovers did. If you don't
have them yet, get them first.

As far as stiffness is concerned, I'm about middle of the road. There's at least
one car softer than mine, and another car that is so stiff he might as well weld
the suspension solid. :)

> Any feedback is appreciated...Thanks,

A better forum for these kinds of discussions is the DSM mailing list - you can
subscribe at www.dsm.org.

DG