Re: a question/rain tires

To: "TEAM.NET" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: a question/rain tires
From: Tesec@compuserve.com
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 09:47:11 -0400
Paul Czarnecki <oblique@alum.mit.edu> wrote :

> Read "Secrets of Solo Racing" and also read the somewhat
> dated book "Driving in Competition" by Alan Johnson.
>How to choose a line is coverd a lot in both books.  Johnson's is
> about road racing, but a lot of it still applies.

I read all the books available but none really clicked until I read the
recent book by the Skip Barber school (Going Faster?). Also mostly
applicable to road racing (which is why I bought it) but the cornering
theory is 100% valid for solo-II. It finally made me realize that John
Ames quote "late apex as early as possible" is not a joke but the
true secret to a fast corner. Read this book twice!!!!

"Matt Murray" <mattm@optonline.net> wrote :

> It seems no one makes a rain tire (read deep tread) any more
> (if they only made dirt stockers in a 17").

Wrong, oh Hoosier breath. Toyo makes a VERY good rain
tire, and it comes in 235/45ZR17 which is perfect for cars like yours.
I just got a set of full tread Toyo 205 and 225 16s for the rain, then
we had 2 dry races in a row, I didn't even pack the rain tires.

If anyone is interested in reading about a long time
autocrosser's entry into road racing, in the PCA club race series,
you can check out  some files I posted to my web site :

http://www.analogman.com/lrp.txt
http://www.analogman.com/pocono.txt

and for good pictures and a vintage race I did last year :
http://members.tripod.com/~analogman/kulery.htm

See you at the Mass tour! (will take some time to get the Pocono
debris off my car...)

P.S. to Josh - you may not be the fastest watercooled Porsche
in AS. And that doesn't count those Audi things like Matt drives ;-)

Regards, mike piera  AnalogMike@aol.com

 '72 911S Targa AS retired,  '73 911RS Replica AP (road racer)

 ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~  vintage guitars   www.analogman.com