Re: toyo tires

To: Gent Matthew-EMG030 <Matthew_Gent-EMG030@email.mot.com>
Subject: Re: toyo tires
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 10:36:38 -0700

Gent Matthew-EMG030 wrote:

> There seems to be much conversation about the Kuhmos, BFGs, Hoosiers, and
> Yoks, but not many people have mentioned the Toyo autocross tires.

It's been discussed before.

> The only person I remember mentioning them is Carl Couric, who got many good
> runs from them.
>

> Has anyone else had good/bad experiences with Toyo?

Yes

The best of times and the worst of times. I think that the fact that
Toyo has not changed their compound in near a decade means they wear
very well, but can not compete well with BFG, Kumho, or Hoosier. I
really should know as I have been trying hard with these tires (no pun
intended) all this year.

I have said for years that the Toyos are a great tire that is 98%
competitive. For me, for the most part, I just index my times based on
that. 8-)

 I've got a $50 rebate
> sitting in front of me.  Its down to the Kuhmos or Toyos, looking for wear
> first and performance second-its a two driver car.

Having driven both of those tires, I think wear is close on either one.
Performance I would give the nod to the Kumhos. And, Kumhos are cheaper
than Toyos (except perhaps your coupon).

> I guess I should ask this too, do they make a 205/50-15 and a 225/50-15?

http://www.toyo.com/tires/prox_ra1.html

The answer is yes.

Randy Chase
On "Sucks Forever" Tires